FAQ on voluntary euthanasia (VE)
Why do we need a new law?
We need a law which gives people the freedom to choose a medically assisted end when their quality of life has deteriorated beyond hope. A law that protects doctors fulfilling their duty of care to relieve suffering.
Isn’t current palliative care adequate?
Even with the best care the suffering of a minority cannot be relieved. For the argument, see A Synopsis Of Disease And Symptoms Which Are At Best Difficult, At Worst Impossible To Control With Modern Palliative and Medical Care.
Aren't we playing God with such a law?
- The key word is "voluntary" -- the free choice of every individual.
- It is cruel and inhumane to allow people to die in pain or in torment.
- 77% of Christians support a VE law (Newspoll 2012).
- The minority opposed to VE can choose not to use it.
- The minority should not impose their beliefs on others.
Won’t all the sick and elderly be killed off with this law?
- In all countries with VE laws, this does not happen.
- Strict safeguards will be enforceable by law, as with VE laws overseas.
- Safeguards include preventing pressure from others to choose VE.
The latest at SAVES
End of Life Newsletters
Donate to SAVES
Become a SAVES member
See more ...
Ambassadors for Law Reform